Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Days in Tanzania

Hiya! I'm in Tanzania! I've been here for about two weeks, and am psyched for the rest of the semester--we've already had a safari, started our homestay, and have loads of kiswahili projects. Fresh off the plane, our group headed out on safari. We camped out in Ndarikwai National Park for our orientation week, going on nature walks around the savannah (tons of elephants, zebras, just surrounded by amazing wildlife) and just getting to know each other. We started learning kiswahili at camp, but our real classes started this week.

On Saturday we moved in with our homestay families--I have a Mama and a Baba and two little brothers, and they have been really wonderful. All of the wanafunzi (students) do our kozi ya nyumbani (homework) together after shule (school), and then I go home to hang with Mama and the watoto (kids). We are living in Bangata, a mountain village right outside Arusha. It's so beautiful, tucked into the side of Mt. Meru and surrounded by banana farms and clouds. We're here for another week and a half, then safari again! then midterms! The work is a little overwhelming but I'm definitely into it--all of our readings and assignments and discussions have been really good. Also, the food is all fried, all delicious. Lots of beans and veggies, and Mama and I spend a lot of time cooking.

So, my new Tanzanian friends are great, and I'm so glad that I'm here! I love you all, and here's an address: Klub Afriko, PO 12248, Arusha, Tanzania.

1 comment:

  1. hey sweetie,
    wonderful to hear a little about your new world. don't forget to post pictures of your host family and some of the sights!
    love you and looking forward to more news. we love to hear from you but have to keep remembering that "no news is good news". so glad you're doing well.
    dad

    ReplyDelete